Search Site
Non-parental Custody

Washington Law Firm Help with Non-Parental Custody

Typically, it is best for children to live in the care of their mother and/or father. Even in cases in which a mother or father is not perfect, courts will generally prefer the custody of children to remain with a biological parent unless there is reason to believe that the child’s physical, medical or emotional health is in jeopardy.

However, due to drug abuse, alcoholism, criminal activity or abuse, some mothers and fathers simply are not a healthy influence on their children. When an unfit parent endangers the physical or emotional well-being of a child in a significant manner, Washington law does permit a court to issue a court order that places custody of the children with a grandparent, sibling or third party.

It is not necessary that the third party be a relative. The interested third party may be a concerned friend of the family or any other adult who has a significant relationship with the child. The party seeking non-parental custody, however, must convince the court that custody of the child with their custodial parent is a danger to the child and placement with the party seeking custody is in the best interest of the child.

Representation throughout Pierce County and King County

At the law office of Tim Edwards & Associates, P.S., we offer experienced and dedicated legal service for people involved in a custody or visitation dispute. Our firm practices exclusively in divorce and other family law matters, including child custody motions involving a request for non-parental custody. If you are seeking non-parental custody of a child or if you are a parent opposing a petition for nonparental custody, we can help. Attorney Tim Edwards has 40 years of experience with family law cases and is passionate about the health and welfare of children.

Contact a lawyer

To ask a question or schedule an appointment regarding child custody, visitation or another family law matter, contact Tim Edwards & Associates, P.S. in Auburn.

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Our Office
  • 1412 M Street S.E.
    Auburn, Washington 98002
    Phone: 253-833-6633
    Fax: 253-833-4450

    Trial Attorney focused on Family Law

    Superior Court Judge Pro Tem

    Superior Court Commissioner Pro Tem

    Superior Court Mediator / Arbitrator


    Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association, Family Law Section

    South King County Bar Association